Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Novel Scaramouche

IT has to be one of those novels that had a heavy influence on me and my reading. I still laugh at myself, when I think of the day I joined the 8th Standard of Sree Moola Vilasam school, the previous day having read the dialogues of Andre Louis Moreau in the Assembly. I tried replying to the questions from my teacher "the duck" in the same vein, and probably gave him the shock of his life... and the result was that I became a boy who does "tharkutharam". Simple incidents in the past still give fond memories - how true! Every time I read this political romance, I am inspired with some new, illuminating idea. It's also true that the book does not evolve. Rather, as we grow up, we evolve and gain and appreciate newer insights from a great book.

The novel Scaramouche starts like this - and this beginning, especially the first line, is very well known and oft quoted!

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad. And that was all his patrimony. His very paternity was obscure, although the village of Gavrillac had long since dispelled the cloud of mystery that hung about it."

No comments: